Scots farmers urged to apply for wide vehicle dispensation

Police notification is required if a vehicle, or implement, is over 3m in width and/or projects more than 4m
Police notification is required if a vehicle, or implement, is over 3m in width and/or projects more than 4m

Scottish farmers have been told to apply for an agricultural dispensation for wide vehicle movements ahead of the busy sowing period.

With working patterns at Police Scotland affected by Covid-19, farmers have been urged to apply or renew six weeks before it may be required.

The scheme, agreed by NFU Scotland and Police Scotland, means that farmers with wide vehicles can apply for a dispensation to avoid having to notify police for each individual movement.

Abnormal load dispensations are required if a vehicle and implement is over three metres in width and/or projects more than four metres.

Farmers and contractors have now been told to check the dimensions of their vehicles and implement.

Any vehicle which exceeds these dimensions or may exceed them with an implement attached should be included on the dispensation, NFU Scotland explained.

The union's transport advisor, Jamie Smart said: “There have been no derogations during Covid-19 for moving agricultural wide vehicles on the roads.

"It is important that farmers wishing to move vehicles or implements over three metres combined width, or with a front or rear overhang exceeding four metres, must obtain a dispensation from Police Scotland.

“However, like all businesses, the abnormal loads office at Police Scotland are having to practice social distancing which may slow down applications.

“It is therefore recommended that farmers requiring a dispensation, or looking to renew or make changes to their existing dispensation notices, apply in plenty of time - preferably 6 weeks before it is required or the previous one expires."

A copy of the dispensation document should be carried in vehicles pertaining to it and produced in the event the vehicle is stopped by Police Scotland, Mr Stuart said.

Farmers or contractors wanting to use this scheme can obtain an application form from Police Scotland or members can get it from NFU Scotland.

The completed form should be emailed to: